Although many people may forget or not realize it, Pennsylvania has a rich history, eclectic culture, and several art galleries located outside its major cities like Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia. As such, the museums in Pennsylvania can be widely overlooked gems that many visitors never think to uncover. Furthermore, the Poconos Mountains are an inspiring place where many artists find their muse amid the iconic landscapes and picturesque vistas. At Woodloch Resort, we enjoy sharing our appreciation for history and culture with our guests. After all, one of the best ways to immerse yourself in the place you’re visiting is to learn about its social nuances. As such, we want to share with you a few nearby opportunities to find and appreciate art, history, and anthropological significance in our beloved region.
Museums in Pennsylvania | Things to Do in the Poconos
Whether you’re a history buff, art aficionado, or just love to learn new things, there are several museums in Pennsylvania to choose from near Woodloch. Taking a trip to the nearby educational outlets and historical places is an excellent way to stay busy on a rainy day or do some exploring during your Poconos vacation. Below, we’ll share some of our favorite places to find cultural value near Hawley, Pennsylvania.
- The Zane Grey Home & Museum in Lackawaxen is dedicated to the life and work of Pearl Zane Grey, one of the most accomplished writers of the 20th century. Interestingly enough, Mr. Grey wasn’t only a prolific author. He was also a skilled baseball player and fisherman who would later earn a degree in dentistry for the University of Pennsylvania.
- Stourbridge Lion was the first steam engine locomotive and a significant milestone at the beginning of the U.S. industrial revolution. You can find a full-scale replica of this magnificent accomplishment at the Wayne County Historical Society in Honesdale.
- The Eagle Institute at the Delaware Highlands Conservancy is more of a nature sanctuary than a museum, but it’s hard to deny the educational value of this living exhibit.
- Looking Glass Art Gallery is one of the area’s premier galleries for anyone who appreciates local talent. Discerning collectors from all over the world recognize the value of our regional artists as evidenced by their many purchases over the years.
- Dorflinger Glass Museum offers a diverse educational opportunity that features a glass museum and a 600-acre wildlife sanctuary.
Poconos Mountain Resorts in Pennsylvania
Now that you have a better understanding of some of the Pennsylvania museums in the Hawley area, you may have a few more ideas for your itinerary. Whether you want to visit these cultural heritage sites and art galleries before, during, or after your Poconos vacation, Woodloch Resort offers you to make yourself at home. And after browsing our wide selection of lodging options, you may wish to extend your stay to ensure you can see everything our mountain community has to offer. For more information or to learn about our accommodations, please reach out to us online or call 800-966-3562 today!