Keep up-to-date with all things Woodloch on our blog featuring exclusive recipes, heartwarming stories, lifestyle content, contests and more.
Spiced Cider for the Whole Family
Make a pot for the whole family – Then add a splash of your favorite spiced liquor to make a boozy batch for the adults.
A minimal guilt treat for those chilly autumn evenings. Add a fire pit and s’mores for a whole evening!
Ingredients Makes 12 servings
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 4 star anise
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 12 cups apple cider (If you have a local apple orchard or farmer’s market, check them out for the best apple cider)
- Sliced apples
- 2 cups of your favorite rum, brandy, or whiskey
- Ideas for garnishes: sliced orange, sliced apples, cinnamon sticks whole cranberries, whipped cream, nutmeg, peppermint sticks, splash of Irish cream, sugar crystal sprinkles, caramel sauce, or mini marshmallows.
- Add nutmeg, cloves, star anise, cinnamon sticks, apple cider, and sliced apples in a heavy bottomed, large pot.
- Heat on low heat for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Skim the top of your cider with a mesh strainer if you wish to remove particles.
- Ladle virgin drinks (if any) into mugs and garnish if desired, or transfer half to another container for refills.
- Stir in the rum (or alcohol of choice) just prior to removing from heat.
- Ladle boozy drinks into a copper mug, stout glass stemware, or tin cup for an Instagram worthy look. A standard mug can be used for the rest of us.
- Alternatively, combine ALL the ingredients, virgin or boozy, into a slow cooker and leave on low for 4 hours before turning to your keep warm setting. The alcohol will stay as long as it’s cooked on low and a lid is used. No need to worry about burning it off.