The Lenni Lenape Indians were the original settlers of Lake Teedyuskung in the early 17th century. Moving into the early 18th century, the Susquehanna Delaware Indians became the dominant tribe in the area. Chief Teedyuskung (1700-1763) was the strong-willed spokesman of the Susquehanna Delaware Indians. He fought the white settlers for the land in which he believed belonged to his tribe. Unfortunately, in 1762 Teedyuskung’s desperate battle for the land was lost and his requests were denied.
In 1763, Teedyuskung was mysteriously burned to death in his cabin along with many other members of his tribe. Shortly after this incident CAPTAIN BULL, son of Teedyuskung, and the rest of the Delaware war party proceeded to kill all of the white people in the Wyoming Valley. In 1768 the disputed land was finally sold to the Pennsylvania Government.
In the late 1800’s, James Henry and Adelaine Thompson, the grandparents of Helen Lockwood and James A. Thompson (Helen’s brother), purchased a large piece of land along the east shore of the lake from Martha J. Quick. The west shoreline was sold off as parcels during the Depression.